View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #23
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Do people really buy reader devices to save money on ebooks?
I did! And, when buying from Baen (my #1 supplier by number of books purchased), I saved the cost of the reader in the first year. Well, actually... I bought their entire output for that year in bits. Buying same in paper would have cost well more than the cost of the reader. But I'd only have bought about half of those books in a bookstore, so it really took me two years to cover the cost of the reader. Then when I read the 'extras' as well, I found that many of those authors also belonged on my "buy-and-read" list. Not all, but most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I agree that the prices are too high considering the publishers aren't paying for printing and distributing, but I would buy the books anyway for the sheer convenience of buying books at home, receiving them instantly on my computer and then reading them wherever I go. I would rather buy an ebook that I can read on any device, though - technology changes pretty quickly and I love to have the newest gadgets!! It's not the price of the ebook that keeps me from buying it, it's usually the format of the book! If I can't convert it for use on multiple devices - I don't want it!!
kaz
Prices aren't too high everywhere. Baen sells eBooks at $6.00 for singles, or in various bundles that are even more attractively priced. They're a great place to visit if you like SF and Fantasy (plus a little Horror and some Paranormal Romance, now that they're also carrying books from some small publishers too). And NO DRM!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote