View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #43
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I only understand Italian neorealism on a very general level, but it still seems it is possible that some of it can be non-fiction. I don't see how sketches of everyday life couldn't count as non-fiction if presented truthfully.

Also I wouldn't count something having an ideological or political tone as outside the realm of non-fiction if it is fact or opinion based, and a narrative can be non-fiction.

Now rhetoric, this is I think where fiction and non-fiction may blend together (especially since this seems to be a trait of Italian neorealism). To me it is a grey area.
It is a grey area. Some of the problems arise by the use of the terms fiction/non-fiction.

When I studied literature, in Italy, we used the terms narrative/non-narrative, with what I presume was the same purpose of distinguishing between genres.

Fiction brings the meaning of being somehow disjointed by real events, which is indeed a bit silly. In this perspective a narrative about real facts becomes non-fiction, same as an essay.

In my mind I consider non-fiction overlapping with non-narrative. That is a pamphlet, an essay, a parabola. The facts being real real, abstract real, or similar convolved contraptions does not matter. Just an amateurish opinion.

Let the Carlo Levi work be a non-fiction. He was actually detained there.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote