Thread: Calibre 4.2
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 PM   #59
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
I wouldn't rush out and buy a new graphics card unless you can return it in case it doesn't give you the result you need.

I don't have a GT730 here but have set up a test with a similar age (2014) GForce 850M in a notebook and I put an old 2008 vintage GForce 9400GT into an old tired low RAM PC to test both with Calibre 4.2. Both machines Windows 10, 64bit.

Both rendered books faultlessly in both the Viewer and in the Editor preview for the small set of tasks I conducted. The old GForce 9400 was noticeably much slower than the newer 850 but only when opening books for first read; whereas the 2014 vintage 850 prepared a typical novel for first read in less than a second.

Laptop with 850M; 5000 series i7 processor, 64bit, 16GB RAM. Video via USB3 to docking station, HDMI docking station to display. (The Intel integrated graphics in this notebook worked faultlessly too, maybe slightly slower opening for first read)

PC with 9400GT: 2000 series i5 processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM. Video via DVI to display.

It would be surprising if a GT730 could not handle the new Calibre software while the much older and the contemporary aged boards I tested can. Maybe you have something else amiss (I think you have hinted at other problems?).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-22-2019 at 11:50 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote