Thread: Literary Obscure Vote • April 2013
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
That's odd - I'm logged in as US and I don't have that version as available. How can that be?

I know there are a couple of cheaper versions in the Australian store, and I was eyeing the more expensive New York Review version in the US store wondering if the extra expense is going to result in a better translation and more polished edition.

Anyone know if there is a "most respected" translator for this novella?
Since I'm going to read it anyway, I have downloaded the Barrett translation without any difficulty. Since I'm in Ireland, I did it through Amazon.com.

However now Amazon is going to make the Kindle UK Store available to those in Ireland, so I still have to decide whether to DL from UK or the .com store in the future (I think it has to be one or the other--not both}.

As to the translation, I have no idea as to which should be preferred. Barrett's version is described as being "new" but as Paul Simon's song points out, "Old" can be OK too.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote