View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #90
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've frequently mentioned my preference for WritePad. I've tried the others, but just love the way it works on the iPad. Two caveats: (1) The OP of this thread, FlorenceArt, isn't quite as impressed as I am by WritePad, although the fact that Florence is French may have something to do with that opinion. WritePad seems to be optimized for English. (2) WritePad now requires iOS 6 for upgrades; meaning if you have a first generation iPad like I do, you won't be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest version. But I am amazed by its accuracy and ease of use and highly recommend it.

I bought my grandson a copy of WritePad for his Kindle Fire but wasn't nearly so impressed by the way it performs on that device. On the Fire, you need to write in a small text box and manually convert after writing one or two words. On the iPad you can use the entire screen for writing and it's converted to text on the fly. WritePad isn't perfect, and you still need to proofread the converted text for mistakes, but as you continue to use the program, those mistakes become fewer and fewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Jojoba, I see that your location is "Europe". Presumably you won't have an American handwriting then. I wouldn't recommend WritePad in that case. The handwriting recognition in Notes Plus worked reasonably well for my French handwriting. You can test it via the free (I think) app MyScript Memo. Check the Notes Plus website for details. It's been a while since I used the app, so things may have changed.

But to be honest, I just don't see the point, personally, of handwriting recognition, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice on that.
Thanks, both!

I've settled on the 7NotesHD and WritePad combo: 7NotesHD because it has great editing features as you do hand writing to text conversion (and it seems to be learning my scribbles fairly well), and WritePad because it has language support for my native language.

I think Notes Plus in general looks like an amazing app, but I'm not comfortable with their hand writing to text conversion process, because it doesn't give you a live display of the conversion with editing options. Also, the text ends up in different text boxes, which I don't want. Otherwise an impressive app, though, and with very accurate conversion for me so far.

I've posted my impressions of the three apps' hand writing to text conversion features here:

http://macademise.wordpress.com/2013...xt-conversion/
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote