View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #46
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got my Paperwhite 4 this morning and I just put it and my Voyage on the same page of the same book, making sure my font and other settings were the same. I think the Voyage does seem slightly brighter. The light on both was set at 12 so I bumped it to 13 on the PW4 and now the PW4 is slightly brighter. In both cases the difference is small enough that I'm not really sure it's real.

A bigger difference is that the white background on the PW4 seems to almost have a faint graininess, a little like seeing fibers in paper. Again it's just an impression when I stare at the screen for a minute. It's not something obvious or noticeable if I'm not looking for it.

The screens are obviously not identical but it's hard to pinpoint a real difference that I'm sure of. And I'm not sure either of them is better than the other.

I did a few minutes reading on the PW4 a little while ago. Before it came I was reading the same book on my Voyage. Last night I was reading it on the PW3 I keep by my bed. They're all Kindles and the reading experience is pretty much the same on all of them as far as I can see.

I have the Voyage and the PW3 in covers and my cover for the PW4 won't arrive till Monday so I can't really compare the way they feel in my hand but using the PW4 without a cover it feels light and comfortable to hold.

My suggestion is to not focus on differences. There seem to be some differences but none that I can name or care about. I'm glad I got it.

Oh, one other thing about the PW4 that surprised me. It has 4G and my other ones have 3G but when I used it without my Wifi to be sure it's working it said 3G. I don't have AT&T but I know people who do and they get good 4G service here. I'm not really sure what to make of this. I'm not sure I care but I am curious.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote