View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Just a few questions about the recommendations.
fjtorre: What is a walled garden reader?
What is a second tier, hardware-only vendor: this really confused me. I'm easily confused.

The reason I would like the reader to have buttons is that, while reading I've often got cream on my face (keeping wrinkles at bay) which frequently transfers to my fingers; hence a touch-screen would become smeared very quickly. I also read when eating and would hate to get olive oil, or whatever, all over the screen. I've seen touch screens which have been really badly scratched by the stylus.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest reader, just one which does what I want it to do, rather than what someone who is looking for a mini ipad would want it to do.

My 505 has been wonderful. I'd like a modern version of that. I know I'm not going to get a perfect match but want something as close as possible. I don't need web-browsing or a front-lit screen (eyestrain inducing, I'd imagine, even if the light is even and uncoloured). Just a reader.

The 505 prefers reading lrf to epub, so I usually convert, but as epub is the industry standard I would want the new reader to be able to read it. I can do Calibre conversions but the results aren't always great.

The T2 is the leading contender. I just wonder if there might be something I'm missing like the Nook or Kobo? I don't really know anything about these.

I have an inkling that my 505 wants to retire. I had the same feeling about my previous laptop before it finally died about 6 months later.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote