View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Where did you get that idea? There are 4 grayscale, 8 grayscale devices based on the version of this controller and iLiad uses their own controller and makes a 16 grayscale device.

edit: by the way, the site you reference shows that they can support up to 16 levels of grayscale but make several options available.
I said 8-bits when I meant 8 grey levels, thanks for catching that.

So far as I know, the older E-Ink Apollo controller only supports 800x600 and 4 grey levels (2 bits). So Metronome is the only E-Ink provided controller that supports 1200 x 825 resolution. The Metronome specs do say 8-bits per pixel (and 4-bit waveforms, presumably 16 grey levels) - but E-Ink's Prototype Kits have 8 gray levels.

Obviously, it is possible to run a 8-way (or 16-way) greyscale capable controller with a 4-way greyscale but, if the EB-300 is using Metronome, why would a high end device use fewer grey levels than possible? Particularly since the iLiad has 16 grey levels.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote