View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
lanekko
lanekko doesn't litterlanekko doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Not to extend this thread any longer than necessary, but I have to point out that, at least in the US, this is not true. A work is deemed to be protected by copyright at the moment it is set into some fixed form. A copyright message simply serves as notice to the reader that the creator/owner reserves certain rights to the work and is likely to actively protect said rights. Failing to add a copyright notice does not in any way minimize the protections afforded by copyright law.

Registering the copyright with the Library of Congress makes a difference, but not in the level of protection for the work. The difference is that the courts will consider financial damages if a registered copyright is violated, whereas unregistered copyright issues will be limited to stopping the infringement.

Again, this is US copyright law I'm referring to. Your country may vary.

**And now, back to the show.**
This is correct.

[QUOTE]Notice of Copyright
The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U.S. law, although it is often beneficial. Because prior law did contain such a requirement, however, the use of notice is still relevant to the copyright status of older works.

Notice was required under the 1976 Copyright Act. This requirement was eliminated when the United States adhered to the Berne Convention, effective March 1, 1989.

extracted directly from the US copyright office (you can read the rest here): http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc

And sure Mitchll, let's leave all this behind, but let me remind you that you were the one who started
lanekko is offline   Reply With Quote