View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #31
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm scampering along behind you all and am finding your comments very interesting.

I was thinking as I read that if it was fiction, it would have been dismissed as ridiculously fanciful that such a small number of Spaniards could overthrow such a huge and sophisticated empire. The Spaniards' luck with the timing of their arrival is breathtaking.

And I think it is beautifully written: Hemmings' scholarship is stunning and his research meticulous, yet it flows smoothly. fantasyfan, I like your idea of browsing the notes for the chapter before reading. I had been reading the chapter and then reading the notes, because it seemed a shame to keep on breaking into the narrative to read the footnotes. I'll try your system with my next chapter.

And I must say I am glad to have a book to handle rather than try to move back and forth in an ebook. The version I got turned out to be a hardcover copy that is one of the early editions, so I may be missing extra notes on later research that may have been done since the original book came out.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote