View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
cruzes
cruzes began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for your replies.

JSWolf, you are kind of right, but since one needs to use Calibre to do the work, I thought I had a better chance at getting answered among calibre users.
I have now realized that the original thread was in the Epub forum and I will post my problem there if I cannot solve the problem here.

EowynCarter, I did mail Bookeen. I do not expect much help from them. When I bought my Cybook it came with a box and a manual that claimed it read mobipocket, but I was not able to, so I emailed them. I never got an answer. After spending quite a few hours googling for an answer I discovered that it only reads epub. That is how I started using Calibre, to convert mobi to epub... If they answer me this time I will post the solution here, in case other people find it useful.

Godzil,

I would be happy to use the official (but I do not know anything about it, as you can read from my answer to EowynCarter) and supported method as long as it works. The method I was using was supported in firmware 1.9 and that is why I was using it. It should be supported since using paths is standard CSS and hence standard epub format. The same method works on other readers like sony and nook according to posts I read on this forum.

I actually did try to use the fonts as local fonts, but that did not work, that is why I started using full path. It was not supported in firmware 1.9.

With the new firmware, the problem seems to be that it does not handle fonts with different variants properly. When I just ask for the font name, the Cybook will, for example, use the small-caps variant instead of the regular one. I went and deleted the small-caps from my Font directory since I do not need them and then everything was in bold font. As I need the bold font for my document, I decided to stop here and ask for help.

I will give some details of my failed attempts, in case anyone can tell what am I doing wrong:

1. Using the Cybook menu to change fonts: it may work on not depending on the font one uses and the epub file. If the font has variants, the file is displayed with the wrong one as I stated above. If the epub file uses CSS to define the font, this option does not work (even if the cybook was unable to find the font and is using the default font).
2. Using CSS, I tried the correct way
@font-face { font-family: "Fontin";
font-weight : normal;
font-style: normal;
src: local("Fontin"); }
and I got the variant problem stated above.
3. I tried using the actual name for the file of the font, to avoid that problem:
src: local(Fontin-Regular.otf);
or
src: url(Fontin-Regular.otf);
but none worked.

C. Martins
cruzes is offline   Reply With Quote