View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #65
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Have you looked at a PDF using Reflow in Adobe Reader? It's a hack job. In the PDFs I use, the layout comes out looking horrible. On some pages nothing happens. On other pages, you have one column of text... and the other column is empty.

And this is from the company that created PDF. Now apparently it's possible for a document creator to optimize their document for reflow using tags. I wonder how many bother?

So what's the better approach... implement reflow, and risk the wrath of people who complain the feature sucks (a feature that not even Adobe themselves can make work properly) or Kobo's current approach, which is to display the document exactly as specified (which, after all, was the primary purpose of PDF in the first place?)

I suppose an argument could be made that Kobo shouldn't support PDFs at all. I'm very glad they do. It works great for what I need it for.
Looked at it? I own an ereader that does it wonderfully!! You cite bad examples. Nearly all novels are simple one column format, most with few or no illustrations and they reflow excellently.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote