View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #32
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I liked Enders Game.

I remember reading one other book by Orson Scott Card. I'm not sure of the title or series, (Alvin Maker perhaps), but the main character crosses a stream and his genetic make up is changed in the process. It sounded like an allegory for baptism. There were several other similar passages in the book that had religious symbolism.

I was turned off enough that I haven't read anything by Orson Scott Card since.
Do you also read the future in the entrails of a recently killed animal? Maybe you should have read the words backwards and see if they had some hidden meaning. I often think that people try too hard. OSC writes fantasy and science-fiction, not some Literature that has been carefully constructed so that it drips with hidden meaning and allegory, and they are rarely so obvious as a baptism in the river. I've seen commentators read all sorts of things into Lord of the Rings, I feel like shaking them "It's fiction people!", stop trying to be so clever.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote