View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Serious philosophical questions re: Boox M92, M96, N96, N96ml

I keep going back-and-forth on whether or not to purchase the Boox Onyx n96ml (available from Amazon, by the way). I question the actual viability of a device that uses such an older screen, and that perhaps by updating my reading arsenal to a newer tablet would be the wiser choice. (Of course, that kind of question is one that only I can answer.)

However, given the fact of these niche readers, I sometimes wonder if we expect too much from them, given that the technology has seemingly stopped regarding this particular screen size, in addition to the software glitches/limitations that (sometimes?) plague these readers.

Too, there is the older version of Android on these readers. And they will never be current, I would guess, to the newest version.

If one wants this size screen and one wants eInk, then the choice is really limited to Boox. (If there is another brand - whatever that brand may be - then it is arguably less known than the Boox brand.)

What possibly can the next generation of Boox models have? Below are some possible answers:

1) An updated Android
2) An 'improved' lighting [n96ml]
3) An 'improved' design to hold the screen

Is there anything else that might be improved on this next generation, I wonder? Certainly, we would all like to see a higher pixel screen, and less glitchy firmware....but what else can be done, in the near future?

Remember, please, that this post is not an attack on the limitations of these units, but merely a placeholder (if you will) for further discussion.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-27-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote