Thread: Functionality
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
bookish
bookish began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need to read the spec of the device to find out for sure, but generally if a bookreader "supports" HTML that's just "dumb" support for displaying it, generally with internal hyperlinks within the document "active", but that's it. Certainly no Javascript!

Sounds as though you need a full-blown web-browser - perhaps a Tablet PC might suit your needs better than a dedicated eBook reader?
Thanks but as you stated reading the specs does not always provide clear answers to specific questions surrounding functionality.

I actually have a Sony UX280P uPC, but it's not light (or exactly pocketable), and it doesn't have instant on capability. Oh, and its battery life is atrociously short. Aside from those drawbacks it does provide the functionality that I need. But I'm looking for the best of all worlds I guess. I will be looking closely at the new HTC Advantage 7501 and more specifically whether or not Windows Mobile 6's Pocket apps (eg Excel and Word) have finally gone beyond their archaic "two-levels only" directory capability. I doubt they have, and that's why I'm also looking into eReaders. As for the Advantage with Mobile 5 it has (for me) the perfect screen size of 5 inches, has instant on capability and it is very light and modestly pocketable.

I've alway been at a loss to understand why large companies do not listen more to the users of their own and similar devices and try to meet the needs and wants of users that are so freely expressed on sites such as this. I have never seen a wish list that contained anything that wasn't to be found on one device or another, but the search is still on for the perfect PDA, UMPC, eReader, etc that meets all desires. There has never been a hardware manufacture that has partnered with a software company to hit a grand slam in this regard. So we keep looking, and buying. Then again, I s'pose the latter could be the answer to why the perfect device has never been made.

Last edited by bookish; 06-17-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
bookish is offline   Reply With Quote