View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
> 1) Is there a reason to prefer XHTML 1.0 over XHTML 1.1?

None that I know of - I guess I just had the 1.0 header to hand & for this particular use, I don't think there was any difference between 1.0 & 1.1.

> 3) gwynevans -- did you whip this out as an example, or was it something you have? I ask because it has no title, for instance.

At the time I'd not considered custom metadata & pre-processing, so just had a 'build_ePub.bat' in the folder which set some of the metadata via the Caliber command-line, e.g. 'html2epub --margin-right=10 --level1-toc="//h2" --chapter="//h2" --cover="Konrath, J.A - Jack Daniels 01 - Whiskey Sour.png" -t "Whiskey Sour" -a "Konrath, J.A" "Konrath, J.A - Jack Daniels 01 - Whiskey Sour.html"'

> 4) I'm thinking to move all CSS to a separate file, any reason I shouldn't?

If you've come up with a standard set of styles that you want to reuse, then it's worth considering, although the main reason to do so in the web-site case is to allow global changes by editing the one file, which may be less of an issue in this particular usage.

> (BTW, the page-break-before: always; part -- is that specific to ebooks, or part of XHTML? 'Cause I've been wondering about how to hard-code that.

Standard, but it's less well known as it's focussing on the print side of things - http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_print_pagebb.asp
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote