View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I've managed a career in programming quite happily without any programming (or CS) courses whatsoever. Some people learn better by doing.
Maybe I have read too much thedailywtf.com but that doesn't apply to everyone in the field... Formal training might lead to at least some things which are helpful for coding. Like thinking is there better way to do do something (standard libraries...) and is the way really efficient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It's perfectly possible to have a career in IT without any programming knowledge (although not as a programmer, of course).
Still for CS major I would expect at least some very basic experience, the stuff don't even need to be overly complex with more modern languages like Python.

There is some fields which don't require it, but for others I think at least some grasp of actual process would be very helpful.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote