Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
@BR, Thanks for responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@unboggling - Symlinks (known as Softlinks in Unix) break if the name of the target or its location is changed - in Unix and in Windows. Given that OS/X is BSD Unix at its core, then I assume its the same.
Yes, theoretically. But those other-forum comments I mentioned said that OS X was sometimes breaking the symlinks without the user moving or renaming target after setting up the symlink.

Quote:
But if you only use them for files such as metadata.db's then you're unlikely to change the name or location, and if you do, then hopefully you wouldn't do it unconsciously - i.e. you would remove the old symlinks and create a new ones referencing new targets on your SSD in the Calibre library directories (folders).

I suspect the optimal performance related preferences will depend on how one uses Calibre and one's overall work patterns. My settings (also quad core) are - Priority=Low, Max Jobs=1 and Use all cores=unchecked. My perception is that things go faster - overall.
I didn't test symlink with metadata.db. At present I only have internal and external hard disk drives (not SSD or Flash), but when I get a new computer with SSD or Flash I'll definitely try that. I don't want to put metadata.db on a ramdisk. Meanwhile when I have time I'll retest bulk conversions using your performance settings.

Quote:
To improve start up times I've seen the following recommended a couple of times - 'close the tag browser before closing Calibre' . But I've never figured out how to do that - does anyone know what it means? Start up times aren't an issue for me - so I never bothered to ask.

BR
Not necessary anymore. One of the people who said that in the past was me. In the calibre GUI, bottom right corner, show or hide the Tag Browser with the little button that looks like a tag. I believe last year, hiding the tag browser before calibre quit and subsequently restarted decreased startup time, in relation to composite columns, but there were some changes since then. I retested this 1 or 2 weeks ago, after ensuring that each composite column had an unchecked checkbox for Show in tags browser (Preferences -> Add your own columns). Results: it didn't matter whether Tag Browser was shown or hidden during calibre startup.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-12-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote