View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Thank you Alissa, for you detailed suggestions.

My romanization is simply an automatic conversion of the first available kana spelling variant. Thus I can't add spaces as there is no additional human input.

Macrons in headwords would be an issue because there is no way to enter them for search on Kindle. I could however add them as inflections to those who would like to use popup dictionary with macronized rōmaji text. Although I suppose that such texts are rare and hardly available for Kindle.

I will add an explanation that uppercase is used for KATAKANA and lowercase for hiragana. In practice it makes no difference as Kindle search is case insensitive.

I was thinking about how to deal with chōnpu. It is straightforward when using macrons but without them ē is represented both by ei or ee and ō by oo or ou. Which one do you think would be the best choice? Maybe I should make it consistent everywhere despite kana usage?

I was experimenting with kanji headwords and theoretically there is a way to make it work. One can select a part of the text, then press a spacebar instead of marking the end of the selection. Then in the search window remove the extra characters and select "dictionary" from the options below (hidden as the last element on the right) and a dictionary entry appears.

However, it is too much of button pressing and thus not practical. Instead Amazon could implement a special dictionary search for Japanese language that try would look up a string starting at the cursor and spanning for several characters. If no dictionary match is found for the string it can decrease the length of the string by one character and so on until match is found. It could even display several matches after a user presses ENTER.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote