View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
My idea was to use it mostly as an stand alone electronic dictionary
Understood.

I downloaded and tried it on my Kindle 3. It worked nice. Thank you for the great work and sharing it with us.

I have some comments on the Romanization system used in your dictionary. I believe Romanization (Latin transliteration) of the headwords are not included in the original Edict and are your work. Please note and forgive me that I'm a native Japanese speaker and my view may be biased by my Japanese speaking experiences.

You use uppercase letters for (parts of) words written with katakana in the standard orthography. I felt some strangeness to see them. I know it is uncommon at least. I'm not sure it is good to use such casing in headwords, especially given that your dictionary shows hiragana/katakana/kanji notation of the word and it is clear whether a word is usually written in katakana or not. Also, I see no explanation that uppercase letters are for katakana words. I believe it should be explained in introductory text (e.g., in a paragraph beginning with "The traditional Hepburn rōmaji is used..." around the location 10.

You write in your introductory text as "The traditional Hepburn rōmaji is used with diacritics converted as follows: ā - aa, ī - ii, ū - uu, ō - ou, ē - ei (ee)", and use aa/ii/uu/ou/ei(ee) notation as explained in the headwords, while using ā/ī/ū/ē/ō in the introductory text (e.g., you wrote Hepburn rōmaji and not roumaji nor ro-maji.) I think it is inconsistent. If you prefer avoiding macrons, your introductory text should follow that convention. If you believe use of macrons is better, why not in the headwords? (I personally prefer use of macrons, BTW.)

You use an en-dash for a prolong sign (chōonpu 長音符). For examle, in your dictionary, a word アバンゲール is Romanized as ABANGE-RU. I don't think it is popular nor useful. As far as I know, all Romanization system for Japanese use the long vowel notation for a letter before the prolong sign. So, アバンゲール should better be ABANGEERU (or ABANGĒRU or just abangēru.)

You use no wordbreaking spaces between romanized words. As far as I know, all Japanese Romanization systems use spaces to separate words (or sometimes bunsetsu.) I believe the headwords are better breaked into some consistent units (words or bunsetsu or even keitaiso (morphemes)), especially given that Edict contains some long idiomatic phrases as headwords. For example, your dictionary now shows a headword for a phrase 彼方立てれば此方が立たぬ as achirataterebakochiragatatanu with no spaces in it, but it should be something like achira tatere ba kochira ga tata nu or achira tatereba kochiraga tatanu.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote