View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
I'm not a "serious" ebook author. I don't consider writing "work." It is the act that frees me from that tasks that are my true work. I'm mainly interested in perfecting my art, which I would do even if I were isolated in a cave, but the prospect of feedback from readers is what draws me out. I price my novel low because I want to reach people willing to take a chance with an unknown indie author. I want to see how much my writing resonates by harvesting reviews.

But I understand the problem from the perspective of a serious author who is trying to make a living (or supplement their income). They may perceive that they are being undercut by all of us $1.99 or less "hacks." One solution, is for the truly serious writer to go through the vetting process of being selected by an actual publisher. This automatically gives the reader a reason to pay the extra money.

I also don't think that underpricing is harmful. It's not a zero sum game. The more people we engage in reading, no matter what the price, the more every writer benefits. I'll pay full price for a hardcover if it's something that I really want. I'll also ignore an ebook priced at 3.99 if I'm casually browsing. So, I apologize to any serious writer who feels harmed by my pricing, but it's giving me the results I seek - unforced, honest, critical reader reviews at a rate of one per 50 sales. That wouldn't happen if I charged 9.00 per download.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote