View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
If I purchase a hard cover or paperback book [and an ebook is generally the same price as one of these depending upon the pub date] ... it is mine and I'm free to lend or give it to whomever I choose. The same should hold true for ebooks. If I lend it to one person and then get it back, or give it outright to someone, that's no one's business ... and it's certainly not up to a publisher to tell me I can't.
It's not the publisher who tells you that you can't - it's copyright law.

The fundamental difference between lending someone a paperback book and lending them an eBook is that, in the latter case, you are creating another copy of the book. Where there was one copy of the book, there are now two copies. Both you AND your friend have a copy. And the law says that you can't create that extra copy without the permission of the copyright holder. It has nothing to do with the publisher.

That's the difference, and that's why you can't do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote