View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Old-style instructions for patching firmware 4.10.11591

I recommend using the new patching method in post #1, but here are the instructions for the old method, for us old dogs who find it hard to learn new tricks.

Before starting:

1. Check Settings > Device information to make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 4.10.11591 (374ecc0783). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64/ARM), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_41011591.zip (attached).

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 4.10.11591 for your device (Mk 6 / Mk 7) and copy it into the 4.10_source/ subdirectory that was created in step 1. (Don't unzip the firmware archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 4.10_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows run 4.10.bat (double-click); For Linux/Mac run 4.10.sh (double-click, or right-click + run, or execute 4.10.sh from the command line, or drag 4.10.sh into Terminal, depending on your particular OS/desktop.)

5. If there were no errors, a new 4.10_target/ subdirectory will be created. Copy the KoboRoot.tgz file from this subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 4.10._source/*.patch files to disable all patches (i.e. set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.

Notes:

Missing patches since last version:
`Brightness fine control`
`Dictionary pop-up frame size increase`

I'm not running this firmware so I haven't tested any of the patches.

A long-standing bug in the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch that mixed up the left/right and bottom page margins has been fixed. It didn't affect the default settings, only those who tried to customise the patch might have come across it.

The `My 24 line spacing values` patch seems to be working, it has been added to the attached zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_41011591.zip (511.0 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-25-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added `My 24 line spacing values` patch to attached zip
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote