View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #15
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
Indeed Arjun, back is way too slippery and I wish Amazon had kept the rubber grip.

Also, it seems that the leather case is not too secure.
Last evening trying to make the origami stand, it kept falling, the Oasis flew out and luckily landed on a stack of newspapers.
yes to both of these. without a case it would be impossible to hold the new oasis--it does indeed feel like one of the previous iphone super-thin models which i literally couldn't hold.

but the cloth case i got slips off at awkward times as the magnet is not as strong as the one for the previous oasis. and forget the fold-over stand thing although i have no need for that anyway. i was thinking about returning the case to amazon and maybe trying a leather one, so it's not encouraging to hear they're no better. and one last dig at the case, being ocd/anal it bothers me no end that the amazon logo is upside down if i flip the oasis to left-hand button use.

having the micro-usb on the opposite end of the power button is another difference between the two models although i can live with it since i don't plug it in that often.

the touchscreen is quite a bit more sensitive, but it's as much as curse as a blessing as the very first thing i did when i took mine out of the box was to accidentally hit chinese for the language. and man did i get pissed off at every single search result telling me where to go to change it but not showing me what chinese characters to look for. i finally had to hold my nose and call amazon and the walked me through it by the numbers. the couple of alternate ways to return to factory settings didn't work.

it is quite a bit faster than the original and the paperwhite i had. on those when i dumped in a bunch of books at once they would literally vaporlock and it took days for them to index. this model remained very responsive and indexed nearly 2600 books in about 24 hours although i left it plugged in for about 12 hours.

i never use the touch screen if i can avoid it, so the subtle changes to the page buttons were appreciated. they're ever so slightly wider and have a shorter throw so they don't wiggle around as much if you don't come straight down on them.

compared to the smaller oasis, it's a true pain to hold even with a case. the extra weight tires your hand out and there's not much gripping surface on the non-button side and i triggered page turns every few minutes.

also, the only reason i updated was for the 32gb memory so i could store all my books--they wouldn't fit onto the 4gb oasis. i didn't need the size, the weight, the bluetooth, the audible or whatever features they were touting--all i needed was more memory. i like the smaller one so much better i think i might keep it and copy my current reading list to it although that sounds insane considering my whole library is on the bigger one. hopefully i'll come to grips (!) with the size eventually.

oh, the aluminum case is very nice indeed, but, as i noted, very very slick. and since there's no case protection for the bulge, i suspect it'll get scratched and ugly on the back in short order.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote