View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can believe it. It seems like Barnes & Noble would want as many beta testers as they could get to ensure that this update didn't eat their uses' side-loaded books.

Makes me think that maybe they just changed permissions of the main (5.5 GB) partition, copied the side-loaded files over from the 1 GB partition, and then -- somehow -- blocked the use of the former side-loading partition (or reserved it for something else). That way the firmware wouldn't have to reformat or re-partition whole "drive" just change the user access (permissions). (Just speculating. I have no real clue but it would probably be safer to do it that way.)

One good thing about this. Apparently Barnes & Noble is reacting to the wishes/complaints of their customers.
I wondered if B&N might have just changed the permissions of the main partition and left the 1 GB one "hidden". That would be a fairly easy firmware change - easier than repartitioning - though it would leave that 1 GB entirely unusable. Still, it would be a big step in the direction of addressing customers' complaints.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote