View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
One of the questions I've put to iRiver was whether there were any specifications as to what *would* work to display a DOC file on a Story. I'm unhappy at the prospect of having to specially reformat every single document before it can even be read on the thing, but if that's what I need to do, then at least I'd know. If they'd said something like "Make every page A5 in size, and use font size 24 pt", then at least that would be something. It would be utterly ridiculous, because you'd get about three sentences to a page that way, but at least we'd know.

I also attempted to highlight the fact that if the device doesn't display DOC files in any way that they can even be read, then there's no way to justify a claim that it "supports" the DOC format. They didn't get it.

They just flatly stated that DOC files don't reflow, and there's no way to embed fonts in the document or change the font size in the on-screen display. As if that was news. As if that answered the question. As if they didn't even stop to realise that that made the format unusable.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote