View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #47
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
EPUBs are so simple that it's impossible to "watermark" them in a way that can't be removed trivially. I'm sure the threat does keep honest people honest, but it does nothing to keep dishonest people from sharing the book after removing the watermark. In that way, it's just like DRM.
In the final effect, yes, watermarking is just like DRM. But it saves honest users the trouble.

Let's rephrase this: watermarking saves the honest users the trouble, and is just as efficient at protecting the copyright holders' interests.

Plus, it would save DiapDealer the trouble of writing honest folk between quotation marks, so subtly insinuating that they're nothing of the sort. Edit: as shown in the discussion below, the "insinuation" was only in my mind. Sorry about that.

Quote:
These days it's full of commercial ebooks liberated with the exact same tools that "honest folk" use to back up their purchases.

Last edited by Philippe D.; 09-25-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Correcting misunderstanding on my part.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote