View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JainaSJedi View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for some technical help with my Kindle Voyage (firmare 5.8.10); and I did have this jailbroken before the update.

I just recently added a bunch of books and I usually use the LibrarianSync (with KUAL) on the Kindle with Calibre to put books into collections. Well, sometimes it works and sometimes I have to add the books manually to collections.

The problem I am having is when I try to add books to collections manually. The Voyage will not go back to the home screen after checking the box to add the book to the collection. The Kindle appears stuck after pressing the 'done' button. I can get to the settings screen to restart it.

The only way to 'un-stick' the Kindle is to restart the device. I can read books just fine, but the Kindle will 'hang' itself when I try to add books to collections. I even updated the firmware today (Sept. 12); and that didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to do a factory reset? I really don't want to do this because I don't want to start over from scratch. I had a really hard time jailbreaking it in the first place.
Do not use the "reset" function!
Version 5.8.10 can not be jail broken.

When you say you are using Librarian Sync - how are you using it?
Making a list of collections manually?
Using the directory structure under /documents to define the collections to Librarian Sync?
Using the interface with Calibre to build the input file for Librarian Sync?
Some mixture of the various ways to use Librarian Sync?
Other?

When you say you sometimes add books to a collection "manually" -
Are you doing it on the Kindle?
Are you doing it on your Amazon account's "Manage Devices and Content" page?
Both?
Neither?
??

The newest (5.8.xx) firmware tries to keep the collection information on the Kindle in-sync with the collection information on your Amazon account.
Which requires a network connection.
Do you have a network connection when you experience the problem(s)?

Have you re-installed Python (and anything else that you had added) after updating the firmware?
Only the jail break survives the Amazon firmware update, anything else has to be re-installed.
The easy rule to cover any and all of our add-ins: "If it seems broke, re-install it."

Have you tried using the search bar command:
;dm
(the semi-colon is part of the command)
to dump and read the system log file(s) to see what they have to say about the apparent hangs?

If not, do so immediately after one of the times you have to restart the system.
"Immediately after" to make it easier for someone to find the 'hang' in the log files ("Immediately after" will make the information be near the tail end of the log).

If the log file is a mystery to you - put it in a zip file and attach it to your next post.

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2017 at 09:45 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote