View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That's often true, but not always.
I once wrote a chapter for a textbook and got paid £1500 as a one-off fee. The rights went to the publisher and I got no royalties at all.

However, it took me about three weeks' full-time writing. It was the most profitable bit of writing that I ever did. I earned more money on that than my partner did for his first book. (He had a royalty deal. The book just didn't sell in sufficient numbers, even though it was very good and took him two years to write. and he had to travel and consult French archives at his own expense.)

The moral is that life and the Free Market are not fair. Renumeration is not commensurate with either effort or originality.
A one time fee is still not a salary. Even if it was profitable for you. A salary denotes getting a regular payment for work performed. I don't know of any book writers who are paid a salary by a publisher. A fee that includes a bonus for the fact that you will not be getting royalties ... that I've heard of. But I have never ever heard of writers on salary.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote