View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #32
Rob Hudson
Rob Hudson began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
Post Backlit eBook devices aren't going away

Great conversation. I have an interesting take on this topic, since my company is heavily invested in the use of backlit eBook devices.

Recently, I spoke with eBook Technologies Inc, the maker of the ETI-2 (eBookWise) device, and they assured me that their long-term manufacturing plans of the backlit units have not changed. They have E-Ink devices in development, but the ETI-2 backlit devices are here for the long term.

I don’t think the backlit units are going away any time soon. There are too many commercial applications for them.

For example, we use the ETI-2 backlit ebook readers for the newspaper carriers who use our software. Instead of delivering newspapers using paper route lists with the dome light on, they have a backlit eBook device mounted to the windshield. It is immensely safer to use while driving than any paper system.

In demonstrating the necessity of backlighting, these pictures say it all:
eBook Devices used for night time newspaper delivery

In addition, I have yet to see an E-Ink device that is as rugged as the ETI-2. Many commercial environments require a rugged eBook device.

Lastly, since the E-Ink is monochrome only, and many commercial uses of eBook technology require color, E-Ink will not supplant color eBooks for many applications.

eBook devices are gaining popularity in commercial applications. Aside from our software for the newspaper industry, these devices are also in use in the military and in other government applications. Most commercial users will not justify the price difference between the ETI-2 and E-Ink devices.

E-Ink, while promising, will be unsuitable for commercial use until:
1) Its price comes down
2) There is a backlight or integrated frontlight option
3) There is a color option

This is good news for the consumer users who prefer backlit devices. You’ll continue to have backlit devices to choose from for some time to come.

Rob Hudson
rob@mydistrict.net
MyDistrict.Net - Newspaper Circulation Software

Last edited by Rob Hudson; 12-04-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Rob Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote