View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Yeah, I don't mind if they reimagine a few things, but large deviations is what I'm trying to avoid. Not that they won't happen, but if I can head off any, then that'd good.
Fanfic authors are almost universally opposed to "out of character" interpretations. (They disagree *wildly* on what "in character" and "out of character" mean, for any given character, but they're fairly united as being against the OOC side of things.)

But they love to experiment with what-ifs and might-have-beens and crossovers: what if Kirk & Spock weren't Starfleet officers, but pirates? What if Hogwarts weren't a magic school, but a ninja school? What if Boromir hadn't died; how would the rest of the story have been different? What if Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark went to the same college?

And that's before we get into the personality changes & alternate interpretations. What if Legolas, not Arwen, were the love of Aragorn's life? What if Dumbledore were an evil mastermind trying to take Voldemort's place? What if Holmes has been quietly lusting after Watson for years? (I read a lot of slash.)

Then there's the just-for-fun "crackfic." As in, "the author's brain is cracked." Nazgul dressed like can-can dancers under their robes. Harry Potter, last son of Krypton, defeats Voldemort with his heat vision when his powers kick in. Star Trek: The Gilbert-and-Sullivan musical. Nobody thinks those are realistic or plausible; they just want to have fun playing with the ideas.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote