View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrault View Post
I do almost all my work in book view, and I have for years. If I wanted to write my books in HTML code and rarely look at “book view,” then I would avoid the buggy Sigil and use BBEdit.

The whole point of Sigil is to write formatted text and to edit HTML code only as needed. Sigil didn’t come into being so we could write 99% of our work in code view. There are scores of apps that have that ability.
As Turtle said, you have that quite backwards. Not even in the very original days of Sigil did Valloric really intend that Bookview was going to be the "way to go" on Sigil. In fact, a topic of some very serious discussion around here for the last few years is doing away with Bookview entirely, because that's really not the intended use. And some of that discussion is centered around this very misapprehension--that it's meant to be a word-processor that makes ePUBs. There are indeed other programs for that, like Jutoh, AWP, Pages and the like.

Sigil is not a WYSIWYG editor for the non-tecchie. It's an HTML/CSS editor for the creation of ePUBs for those persons who already have the technical skill to make them without the software. It's a handy tool--it builds the OPF and NCX, will build an HTML TOC for you, if you wish, etc.--but it's not meant to be the Word or Pages of ePUB-making. It's not iBooks iAuthor, so that people can type whatever in the front end and have all the heavy lifting done behind the scenes, in the backend.

If you've been using Sigil for years, then you've surely seen this stated here any number of times, and the progress of Sigil has surely made the intended use clear--e.g., Preview mode. What early purpose is Preview, if the intent is that work should be done in BookView?

It's your work, but if you work in BV, you are going to have glitches like that which you've experienced. The way to solve that is to use Sigil as intended, not as it's not. But obviously, it's your time and effort.

Good luck.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote