View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #100
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The point of literary fiction is not that it will use unconventional styles, but that it may use unconventional styles, and if so it will be done with purpose.
I agree. That's why i said "sometimes," although i did say that lit fiction writers "will use unconventional techniques." That was inaccurate language on my part, which is true for the subsequent 3 posts and has probably led to some confusion. I have asserted that lit fiction uses unconventional style, when i should have qualified it with "sometimes or may use unconventional style."
Quote:
I'd also argue that when it's done well, the reader's expectations don't matter much. The work does its own talking.
Fair enough. I see your point and it is a good one, but i get the impression that many readers will toss a work at the first hint or encounter of unconventional style or needlessly obsess over how a novel is supposed to be written.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 09-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote