View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #78
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvan View Post
Rhadin, I think what you are doing is called "responsible parenting" and is not censorship in any form. Good for you! I don't remember buying my own books until I was 15 or so. At what age did any of you begin buying your own books? And, not comic books, OK?
I'm pretty sure I bought my first chapter books with my own money when I was 10, at a school "book fair." (The two books were Space Cadet and Between Planets, both by Heinlein.) There were also opportunities to buy books at reduced prices through a catalog ordering program at school. Shortly after that we moved to a town where I could walk home from school and stop at a book store, and I started buying all my own books without supervision. At one point, my mother asked me about the content of one that she felt had a rather suggestive cover (Dreamsnake, by Vonda McIntire), I explained that the cover was not descriptive of the contents of the book, compared it in level of "adult" content to a movie we had both recently seen together, promised to put a concealing cover on it if I took it to school, and that was that.

My parents were not being neglectful. They trusted my maturity to select my own reading material and ask them if I had questions.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote