View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I would suggest that the smallest relative font size you should specific should be about 60%. If someone chose a 10pt font that would be a 6pt font.
Ok, we're well above that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If your books have lots of non-English characters, embedding a font might be a reasonable solution. But the default fonts in ebook readers are becoming better when it comes to unicode character support. I think it would be worth checking whether you really still need to do it.
The problem is mainly that people have a lot of strange characters in their names

In academic publishing it's completely unacceptable to misspell someone's name; this includes foreign characters and all kinds of accents. For ebooks this also means that we must be very sure that they'll display correctly. I'll have a second look (I already have a script somewhere which creates a list of used characters), but I'm not optimistic.

Edit:
Of course there are probably some of our books that won't need embedded fonts. Do you have any suggestions about what font-face definitions would be suitable for a book without embedded fonts? We use regular, italics, and occasionally bold/bold-italics font styles.

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote