Thread: about poetry
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
There are clearly problems with the RTL suggestion I made, however to say it wouldn't work is perhaps being a bit pedantic (that's usually my job).

I did try it out on a test document and visually it seemed to do what you had asked for.

If you used a text-to-speech reader on the text it would read it "backwards", however it does appear on a printed page in the correct order. Another issue which I hinted at in my initial post was that of punctuation within a line, where a comma can appear at the start of a wrapped line rather than at the end of the previous one.

Ultimately I think you need to consider how essential it is that the visual format follows exactly your source (I assume that is what you are trying to emulate), there are plenty of other ways to format a poem which can be achieved using standard formatting techniques. "text-align-last : right" may well be the correct way to do it but if readers don't support it then some sort of compromise is in order. It all depends on what you want to do with the book - just read it yourself on a known device or have it published, perhaps in other formats than epub.

BobC

Bob:

Perhaps I should have elaborated, but in my line of work, which is commercial formatting, I can't put forth a layout that would read backwards, no matter what, in TTS. I mean...just can't. I have other reasons for thinking that it won't work quite like expected, but that's my first and foremost objection.

I'm tied up this am, but if I get a chance, I'll post in more detail.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote