View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
My point is that it would be a good idea if you would.

You are not entitled to a DVD version only because you purchased the VHS, because the manufactured medium has an important cost. But given that the cost of producing a file is in a way negligible (`copy` / `cp` / `cat`...), in another marginal (the electronic version is part of the preproduction of the printed material, one download server/service shared by all customers may have a dwarfed cost with respect to the production of physical media), it may make sense that with the purchase of a physical copy you also get rights for a digital one.

This would have collateral good effects:
-- preserving the role of shops offering direct access to the physical media;
-- expanding freedom in the options of purchase;
-- solving the alternative "something I want on the shelves or something I can more easily study" - as it is for some of us;
-- granting more anonymity - which to some of us is inalienable from dignity - with the ability to pay also for your electronic version through cash - anonymous credit cars are harder to obtain;
and surely more.
The medium for eBooks also has a cost. It does cost to covert the electronic file or scan/OCR. It would also put a lot of eBook shops out of business.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote