View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 02:58 AM   #1092
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by botmtl View Post
Besides, I think there a a lot of users who do download web pages (that potentially have images encoded this way) and make them into ebooks (fanficfare, news recipes, read-it-later type websites, etc.). I am one of them.
It's still more efficient to actually store the image, unless we're talking about something so tiny that the overhead of creating a file at all is a significant factor. (In which case, I'll still point to the cover image as the biggest part of almost any ebook and stick to my guns.)

Is the book in question self-published or traditionally published?

I think that's a much smaller population than you think it is. It may seem larger from the inside, but I doubt it's a drop in the bucket as a proportion of Ebook-Reading People.
I do download quite a few bits off the web to convert into epubs and I have seen a page that used data URIs for images exactly once a couple of years back when I was downloading a web short story to convert to an epub. Generating an image file from the data and referencing that file reduced the final epub size by a negligible amount -- the recurring data strings compressed quite happily -- but it made it a lot easier for me to read the code without an multi-line block of gibberish every time a horizontal rule was applied which was about every second paragraph. The author was also excessively fond of em dashes and ellipses.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-07-2017 at 09:53 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote