View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Common phrase uttered by "authors", "So and so did it, why can't I".

Usual answer because you aren't so and so and that is not how he did it.
Hmm. At some point, perhaps you are ready to emulate so-and-so and stand on that particular giant's shoulder.

I think the trick is KNOWING you're able to do it, and knowing WHY you should, not JUST doing to copy someone.

I don't know if so-and-so themself was inspired to emulate someone he read and admired, or if it was a totally original thing, but either way, if it worked, it worked, and they didn't need permission.

I wouldn't surprised if some editor at first told Dickens "Sorry, kid, I know Chaucer did it, but you ain't no Chaucer," but Dickens was confident enough in his talent to ignore him.

(I've never read Chaucer and have no idea if Dickens did anything he did, it was just the first pre-Dickensian literary giant name to pop into my head. Shakespeare! I should have said Shakespeare!)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote