View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It is my opinion that this is too powerful to give the script kiddies too many ideas, so please excuse my being a little cryptic. I would like this method to be a long term repair tool that does not get disabled by a firmware update.

This is for developers so they can undo the damage that they caused themselves with bad scripts or settings. This is the main reason why the Kindle Touch is getting bricked by developers. They can do repairs using this tool, given their own knowledge of what they were working on when it failed.

I also would like to see this grow into a full backup and restore system for files and folders, which can restore even to a bricked device.

We do not want the method published in detail so that it gets disabled in the next firmware update. Your suggestions indicate that you know which direction I am heading with this. Lets just say that it can be used to replace broken files with backups or repaired versions, bad files with benign (do nothing) files, replace missing files, or add new files. What and where depends on your needs. A full system restore from backup could be done in multiple stages to prevent memory exhaustion.

Hopefully, with the information provide here and elsewhere, the people who need to debrick their touch can figure it out. This also works for the Kindle 4 (Non Touch). It will work even with severely damaged startup scripts. If you have a bricked kindle touch or k4nt and do not have or want to use a serial cable, and if you cannot figure this out for yourself, you can PM me.

For earlier kindles we need to "help it" with some existing JB code and a small helper script. Unlike firmware version 4 and later, this will not work on older kindles if "too bricked". For that you still need a serial cable.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-31-2011 at 10:50 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote