View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Weighing in on the OP, I am a customer who very much does mind ads. And I buy quite a lot of our household goods through Amazon, so those 10$ for a 20$ gift card offers would actually come in handy. But I don't want them on my eReader.

One of the scariest "throw-away" scenes in a movie I've seen is that scene in "Minority Report" where Tom Cruise is pouring breakfast cereal and the cartoon figures on the cereal box start singing and dancing on the box as an advertisement. That scene freaks me out on so many levels because it's just this concept of ads invading every facet of our personal space, whether we want them to or not.

I don't care how "unobtrusive" the ads are, I don't want them on my eReader's wallpaper or popping up in book ("Are you enjoying this novel? Why not purchase the next in the series for 15% off list price!!!") or on the screensaver or as a ticker across the bottom or built into the back cover. I don't want them on a device that I paid for, that I own, and that I use to relax and escape into other worlds. (I also fast-forward through all television ads. )

Is my position rational? Probably not. Is it real and not likely to change? Absolutely. The real question is how far off the mark that article is when they discount the existence of people like me. Am I in a minority or not? I can't say.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote