View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Amazon "Dot" Progress Bar Is Peculiar

I've noticed some odd peculiarities to the Kindle 2's "dot" progress bar of measuring how large a book is.

Firstly, no book can be less than 9 dots. You can't tell a 1-word file from a 1,000 word short story. Why limit the lower bound at all; why not go all the way down to 1 or 2 dots? And why *9*? Even 10 would make more sense. If you consider the first dot to only fill when you open the book, then even 11 dots would make more sense.

Secondly, the maximum appears to be 65 dots. No way to tell the difference between a large novel and the Holy Bible. Okay, I accept there needs to be an upper limit, but again, why 65? There's no reason why the dots couldn't go all the way to the other side of the screen, yet they stop about 80% of the way there.

Finally, I've noticed on some books the last dot won't fill in even when you reach the end. If you manually enter the last location number, so that the last page is only displayed partially, sometimes that's enough to fill the last circle. But why should it be so particular?

Whoever came up with this system was half-crazy.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote