Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #63
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll post the thread with the poll instructions just after midnight. Basically it's a 4/3 solution; four days for the original poll, three days for the run-off between the top two contenders. (If the first poll results in a tie for first or second place, the second poll may have more than two choices.)
I think the vote lengths sound great.

I will make a suggestion on ties though. The idea of tiered is to get a book with more than 50% support each time (a majority), which will only definitely happen with two choices on the second vote. And in the vote thread, the rhetorical question was asked - what would happen if there were a large tie, which is especially possible on hidden vote months.

To take care of those possibilities, I'd suggest Tom use his tie-breaking abilities to make sure only two books are ever in the second poll. So, for example, if one book got the most votes and two (or more) tied for second, then Tom would "cast a vote" for one of those books in second place to break the tie. Or, if three (or more) books tied for first, then Tom would "cast a vote" for two of the tied books. That is a simple way to ensure we always have only two options for the final vote.

I think this is up to Tom to decide though. Tom, I know it may feel like a lot of power on your part to break ties, but I don't think it is since you don't normally vote in the first place (it'd be like an extension of the old tie-breaker rule on non-tiered polls). Also, I think it will make things simpler and less open to debate in the case of ties.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote