Thread: KFX Format
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #708
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Since it's excluded from the DRM, are there any tools to edit the metadata.kfx file found in the "bookname.sdr/assets" folder on an e-ink Kindle? I'm hoping to be able to rename some book titles to organize books in a series better.
I am unaware of any such tool.

If such a tool existed I am skeptical as to whether it would cause the Kindle to perform as you hope. What happens when the metadata contained within a book is at odds with that delivered by Amazon's servers? Probably nothing would happen until you trigger the Kindle to re-index that book. Doing so might update the Kindle's internal metadata database, but the change might be temporary (until the next sync) and have unwanted side effects. It is hard to know without actually trying.

I assume that you want to retain the linkage between the retitled book on your Kindle and your Amazon account so that reading position, collection membership, and notes will sync and features like x-ray will still function. Otherwise you could just replace the entire book (instead of that single file) with a copy having updated metadata.

I do know that others make title changes to their Kindle books in other formats (mobi/azw3) for the same reason that you want to do so. Perhaps someone who does that can describe how that works out in terms of the features I mentioned above. The results would likely be the same for KFX format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote