View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Harry, I have been more than happy with the quality of what Lightning Source produces for me. I put the quality of the binding on my books (they are "perfect bound" paperbacks) up against pretty much any I have seen from traditional publishers (and definitely better than some).

The cover image quality is very good to excellent (I chose a gloss laminate finish), though perhaps not up there with the very best of the trad-pubs I have - though in this case it may be the quality of image I supplied rather than printing that lets it down, I am still learning after all.

The text print-quality, too, is very good (I leave readers to assess the other qualities of the text ).

I was also very pleased with the paper quality. I chose a "creme" paper, which turned out to be very fine and crisp.

Lightning Source print at locations nearest to distribution, so my copies came from Australian printers. I checked my with friend in the UK and as far as I can tell the quality was just as good there.

The main negative things I have to say about my own print books have to do with my choices rather than anything Lightning Source did. I used a slightly smaller font, and relatively small margins, in order to keep the page count (and so the final cost) down as much as I could. I have had no complaints in that regard, but my own tastes would have preferred the font just a bit larger (I'm not as young as I was).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote