View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You can just use overflow and/or text-overflow with a very long set of periods to cover any eventuality such as:

Thanks…! Your solution works great in Firefox, Google Chrome… and Calibre's epub viewer. "text-overflow:clip" and "white-space:nowrap" did the trick. I just had to add "margin: auto" and "table-layout:fixed" to the class definition for my table to make it sit dead center on the page AND stop the renderer(s) from expanding the columns to fit in more content.

The only thing I was unable to achieve was getting rid of the (very) thin line of maybe 1px.? of extra space between table rows that appears to be added by default. I could see at a glance (on a ~130 ppi computer screen) that something about the line spacing didn't look right as compared with the line spacing of the ensuing text. Adding a "background-color: #f0f0f0" to my table-cell def's confirmed this.

In order to fix this minor annoyance (and for a number of other reasons…) I tried getting rid of the table definition and its tr/td's and replacing it all with div's but I didn't get anywhere using that approach either.

Obviously the spacing is not the major issue… but all the same I would be curious to learn how one is supposed to address this. May come in handy at some point.

Now here's the bad news. The two new/experimental "CSS properties" you pointed me to are not recognized by Kobo's crappy renderer (upgraded their software a few weeks ago… so if not state-of-the-art it should be pretty current…)… And it's not just Kobo… I had the same problem with the FBReader app on Android.

So in spite of the excellent help on this forum… I'm pretty much back to where I was… with the added difficulty that it's becoming more & more of a pain finding doc & samples of html 4 and CSS 2 online than it was a few years ago.

I could swear I once did something similar (fixed table layout… fixed-width columns… forcing an extra-long line of dots to be truncated so it ends just one space short of the next column… I mean… it's a fairly common presentation that's been used over and over in many contexts for all kinds of purposes…) but that was years ago and try as I may… so far I haven't been able to remember the circumstances.

Can you (or anyone following following this thread…) think of a more conservative html/CSS approach that might do what I need (centered fixed-width block and columns with text padded by dots…) AND have a better chance of working on "older" hardware/software…?

… keeping in mind that I have my doubts about even the more recent Kobo models and renderer being able to handle correctly new/experimental CSS features… and that for all we know… since there is next to zero demand for this kind of stuff… this may not change for some time to come…?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote