View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I know that I could do this with Good Ol' html tables and get exactly what I want but apart from the fact that such tables are a nightmare to code and adjust, I have heard rumors that the powers that be are discouraging their use and may eventually look into phasing them out (?).
I've got many major publisher ebooks that use tables. The real issue is that you can't make many assumptions about the reader width and font size, which means that even a really good layout on a decent sized device with reasonable font size can end up looking bad.

Quote:
So far I have played with the new display: table… display: table-row… display: table-cell… CSS properties.
This really isn't any different from using tables, since every renderer uses a default stylesheet like:
Code:
table { display: table; }
tr { display: table-row; }
td { display: table-cell; }
What I'd suggest would be to just fudge the whole table centering a bit so that you simulate the "indent" you want. Something like:
Code:
.mytable {
margin-left: 15%;
margin-right: 10%;
}
Then, you end up with a table with two columns, and you can set the width of each column to something reasonable (like 70% and 30%). After that, if you have an easy way to fill with periods (I really don't know of a way using just HTML and CSS 3), everything will be as good as it can ever be.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote