Thread: Adobe CS5
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages (because "Go Open Source!" ), but I need to get used to it first, I have worked on Photoshop for too long. Last time I looked it didn't support cmyk, which was kind of a drawback. I also loved the line thickening feature in Illustrator, I would probably use this even more than the content aware fill.
There are some drawbacks, I agree, to using Gimp/Inkscape. I think, but can't give you confirmation, that GEGL will handle CMYK in the Gimp (never done anything for print, so never had the need for CMYK output). I'm not sure about the line thickening feature, but I'm sure it'll be implemented in Inkscape if it's not already there (and I haven't seen it yet).

In my own personal experience I found the GIMP/Inkscape when used on Linux a better environment and more forgiving on system requirements than Photoshop / Illustrator. Seems to me that Adobe products get slower and slower with every version and need more and more ram to get any acceptable speed.

Oh, on another note, the Lightworks video editor has been open sourced also http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/o...goes-open.html
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote