Thread: Telephone Scam
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've seen and heard of scams like that for other places (usually via email) like Ebay and now Netflix as well. Always best to check by going directly to the site rather than by clicking on links in an email or calling a # you are given.
I'm afraid that such things are very common in Britain. The most common one we get is people phoning up claiming to be from "Windows Support", and responding to "a virus on your computer". They try to con your into running Windows Event Viewer, finding the "error" messages in it (which there will always be some) and then charging you a couple of hundred quid to install a worthless "fix".

My standard tactic is to allow them to get half through their spiel, then politely interrupt to say that I'm very interested in what they have to say, but there's someone at the door, and asking them to hold on. The longest I've managed to keep one holding for is 40 minutes, so far .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote