View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Katsunami,
I am having trouble understanding why you need to embed fonts in your master calibre epub at all.
I *don't* want to embed fonts in the main file in Calibre. That is why I would want to save different versions of the same format.

Quote:
I also have several Kobo and Sony devices. I can do all the font customisation I need to do (small-caps, dropcaps, monospace etc etc) without ever needing to embed any fonts at all. There are better methods which can be set up either on the device itself (Sony devices) or, with Kobos, part device/part calibre Kobo device driver. Do you know about, or have you tried, any of these other techniques? If not I can try and help you if you like.
I use the font embedding as an example.

Embedding extra CSS is another one.

Not all readers render files the same way especially not when converted from other formats. Sometimes, extra CSS may be needed. For example, FeedBooks uses a specific chapter header markup, that does not work well on the Kindle Paperwhite 1. It can be fixed with adding extra CSS during conversion from EPUB to AZW3. Maybe the Kindle Paperwhite 2 renders the header as it should, and if so, I'd like to have another conversion to AZW3, but without the extra CSS.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote